Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Wicked Burger


What started off as a student’s idea for a simple job opportunity, ended up being a very popular burguer food truck in Río Piedras. In the interview I was able to have with founder and chef of Wicked Burger, Ángel Negrón, he said it all began and was motivated by his need for a job. He started of selling unique burgers in his former university (UPR) to students at a low price, until the University notified him of a one-million-dollar insurance he had to pay to continue his sales. So, he opened the food truck on Añasco Street in Río Piedras. The idea emerged when a Bakery opened near his neighborhood and he decided to ask for them to make pan sobao buns for his burgers, but the Baker asked him, “Why not mayorca burgers instead?” thus the idea of their famous mayorca burgers was born. 
Let me tell you, I’ve been eating these burgers since my first year in college…and they are no joke. These are the best burgers in town. Everyone should try them! They have an awesome menu and have great prices. I’m very picky with my burgers, but they do them just right. Best part is, they have vegetarian options as well!

              What surprised me during my talk with Negrón was that he told me exactly what the employer at Mona Lisa told me, “I would love for all my products to be from local farmers, but it’s just too expensive.” he also added, “This is student’s territory, the budget for a burger is not that much and prices would be too high if I choose to buy from Puerto Rican crops.” He emphasized on the economic situation of the Island and continually said it’s just too much. Nonetheless, he buys his avocado, malanga, eggs, vegetables, and bread from local business owners.


             
        If you are interested in trying these burgers look them up on their Facebook page for more information and/or go to Río Piedras and see for yourself. Trust me, these burgers will impress you.              
Look for them on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELCOME

            As many of you may or may not know Puerto Rico is a Caribbean Island that's currently a U.S. colony/territory ...